Monday, February 13, 2012

Week 7 - Provident Pantry

I am munching on some jerky as I am writing this. Curious, since for the next 4 weeks we are going to focus on adding meat/fish to our 3 month food storage. I had to smile this morning. I felt we had gone back to hunter/gatherer designations. The last two weeks we were gathering in cereal (grain) and now we will be hunting meat.

On the plans you have sent me, I see listings for lunch meat, tuna, bacon, hamburger, hot dogs, canned chicken, canned beef, etc. And at $5 per week per every two people in your family, it may take you more than 4 weeks to get your meat all "salted" away. Not to worry. There will be other weeks where you already have the assigned item and meat will be your alternative choice. I do notice that the amount of meat per family is quite variable, so after this week, I will include alternate assignments for those of you that very quickly put away for your meat/fish needs.

So up to now, you have probably easily been incorporating the things you are buying into your pantries or under your beds. Now will start the storage challenge. If you have large freezers, hallelujah, you may have the space you need. If you are like me, you may have realized that 3 months of meat is NOT going to fit in your small above-the-frig freezer. I have had to go back and make some adjustments to my menus and rely more on canned meats. I have also located a new source for a canned hamburger that I am willing to try to see if it might be an option. Please share with us your own challenges in regard to meat/fish. Other sisters may have suggestions. Also, as you go out to purchase, if you find some good deals, please let us know. There may be others that would like to take advantage of the bargain.

Jill Waggoner and Linda Hancock have found a source for meat that seems to be more affordable than the local grocery stores and of good quality. It is a company that is looking to come into the Austin area. If you would like more information on their source, please contact them directly.

My daughter-in-law cans her own meat for her storage. She saves money that way, and it is REALLY good tasting. Please let me know if there are any of you who would like to have a RS class on meat canning. We would be glad to set that up this year if you would like.

Remember to put your stickers (where you have written the expiration dates) on each meat item before you store it away.

Happy hunting and fishing,

Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment